PDA

View Full Version : Connecting a wireless router to a comcast modem

Wasatch Rebel
01-12-2008, 01:29 PM
Do any of you know how to connect a wireless router to a Comcast modem and have it work properly? I finally gave my dialup a good burial, and yesterday Comcast hooked us up. Now, I need to install a router so my son can use his laptop in another part of the house. So if any of you can help me with this, I'd really appreciate it. You might even get some brownies. :2thumbs:

Iceaxe
01-12-2008, 03:02 PM
It should be really simple....

1. turn off everything.
2. Plug Modem into router.
3. Tun everything on
4. turn on computer and it should see modem

That should get you up and running with no security.... from this point on you can only screw things up. :haha:

Anything further and you might actually have to read the router instructions. All routers are a little different because of installed firmware/software.

Good luck...
:2thumbs:

RugerShooter
01-12-2008, 03:23 PM
I finally gave my dialup a good burial

I can't wait untill I can do that, out where I live I can't get Comcast or Qwest. The only high-speed available is through Sattelite and that is way to pricey. :frustrated:

DiscGo
01-12-2008, 10:00 PM
If needs be I can talk you through it.

Gutpiler_Utahn
01-12-2008, 11:36 PM

And if you want further help, I work in West Valley and can (tentatively) come by to set it up for ya on Thursday.

DiscGo
01-13-2008, 09:12 PM

And if you want further help, I work in West Valley and can (tentatively) come by to set it up for ya on Thursday.

I can't compete with that kind of service.

It really is not too difficult, it is just a matter of doing it once and then you should be able to do it again and again.

Anyway, let us know.

If you can tell us where you are having problems, or even where you are in the process. I'm sure we can bring it the rest of the way home for you.

Wasatch Rebel
01-14-2008, 05:59 AM
Wow--I appreciate all the help and offers for help. We got it to work, so that's good. Now, though, I've got trouble with some of my programs, like Comodo firewall and Avast antivirus not wanting to download their updates. Any thoughts on this?